Monday, March 12, 2007

16 December 2006, Saturday

I went through another CTG scan at about 7.30 am to track for contractions but sadly the contractions were very mild and too far apart. I was definitely disappointed at your reluctance to make your appearance into the world. However, except for praying, I can only continue to wait.

I decided to take a quick shower and it was surely a very quick one. I was still trying to adjust the temperature of the water when Daddy knocked on the door to announce the arrival of the gynae. Not wanting her to wait, I get out of the shower quickly.

Dr Chua had to examine me to check the dilation of the cervix before deciding the next move. She was also a bit disappointed with the lack of progress. She had given us two choices (before the examination) - insert another tablet, which cost $150 and then wait or to go home and wait. Since we were at the hospital, the most logical choice would be to spend another $150.

So she made the cervix examination and Boy!!! IT HURT BADLY!!! REAL BAD!!! As my cervix was located quite way back. Now, any normal person would scream the house down with such pain but since I was a little on the crazy side (and of course with God's grace and strength) I laughed to distract myself from the pain. The laughter did help in distracting myself and also Daddy. He knew I was in terrible pain but due to my comical expression, he could not help but laughed too, so did the gynae and the assisting nurse. With the laughter, I think I did a great job of lightening the mood.

No pain, no gain. Dr Chua managed to find a one centimetre dilation. So I was sent down to the labour ward for the epidural first, followed by having her break my water bag and then the drip to further induce you out.

So off we went to the observation room in the labour ward. There, I had to be shaved down below and had to be given a medication (thought the anus) to clear my bowel. Once my bowel was cleared. I was strapped up to the CTG machine and a blood pressure measuring machine. Once those were done, I was ready for the epidural.

Not long after, Dr Catherine Yap, the anaesthetist came (she was also the one who administered the epidural when I gave birth to Ashlyn). She was very fun and gentle too. While she gave me the needle, for the local anaesthetic, she kept distracting me by asking about out family's vacations overseas. Plus, whenever I felt pain, the crazy side of me kicked in and I went, "Blah, blah, blah, blah..." with my tongue. That was described as "singing" by Dr Yap. Well, I think I made her day easier. She seemed to enjoy herself too.

After the epidural is successfully set up, Dr Chua came in to break the water bag and then it was the beginning of the waiting game. As there were many mummies giving birth on that day, all the labour rooms were full so we had to wait for our turn to go into the room. At the meantime, Daddy and Mummy had to stay in the observation room (with 3 beds, separated with curtains). It was very cramp and noisy as nurses walked around the room giving instructions and talking. But by around 12.30 pm, we got a room and off we went rolling to the room on my bed.

Once in the birth room (Room 3), the environment was so soothing and comfortable that Mummy and Daddy slipped into dreamland. At around 1.45 pm, Dr Chua came in and had a quick check and confirmed that there was a 3 cm dilation plus contractions were regular and strong. However, with the epidural, I could not feel the contractions so I could still sleep comfortably.

At around 2.30 pm, I could feel the contractions in the tummy. It was not painful just that I could feel the pulling and tigthening of the uterus. At the same time, with each contraction, your heartbeat will get softer. Concerned, Daddy and I asked the nurse about this and she replied that it was normal. Then she proceeded to check on the dilation of the cervix and gladly announced that it had dilated to 9cm. The progress in just an hour was so fast and we knew that in no time, you will be arriving.

The nurses got ready all the things needed for the delivery. Such as the baby warmer (a machine that will keep you warm as you lie there for the nurse to clean up), the surgical gown for Dr Chua, the surgical equipment, the needles for Mummy and so on.

At around 3 pm, the nurses got me prepared by making me practise pushing. With each contraction, I was encouraged to push hard and push below. Daddy was there holding my hands and encouraged me to give mu best with each push. after about 4 or 5 practice pushes, your head can be seen. Daddy took a peek but was not able to see your crowning glory so the nurse made me do another practise push. Daddy saw your little head and at the same time Dr chua came bursting into the room.

Dr Chua was very delighted that the progress was fast and good. I was her 4th patient to deliver and she had one more to go. Once she was ready, I was ordered to give a big push.

The first push and your head and a little hand emerged. Daddy witnessed it with pride. With the next contraction, the second push, you came sliding out into the world to meet everyone. The sensation was like "blop, blop, blop..." in my tummy. It was like something bubbling out.


So your arrival was announced at 1512 hours on 16 December 2006. When I first saw you (you were placed on my chest immediately), I commented that you looked like your sister when she was born.

Dr Chua was very delighted to see you and she commented that you were very beautiful and looked like Daddy too. Daddy, upon hearing that was extremely happy. Me? I was happy too because you have my high forehead, sharp lips and the same face shape.

While you were taken away for cleaning and weighing with the nurse and Daddy, I "gave birth" to the placenta which was your source of food and home for 9 months (40 weeks to be exact). In the process of your birth, my virgina tore 3 cm(which was not bad in Dr Chua's eyes). She did not have time to do the episotomy, by the way.

She sewed the 3 cm up, pushed out the extra blood and also drained my bladder. And boy... my bladder was sure very full. Urine flowed non-stop for about two minutes. It was quite comical listening to the flowing urine. It sounded like an artificial waterfall (those water features that you install indoor).

Daddy and you returned to the labour ward after weighing. The following was your score card:
Weight : 3.225kg
Height: 50 cm
Head circumference: 34 cm

Compared to your sister Ashlyn's:
Weight: 3.71 kg
Height: 52 cm
Head circumference: 34 cm

So you were slightly smaller that her and that explained the easy pushing.

Hey... but both of you were as pretty as can be. Most importantly, both were healthy at birth and were blessings from God. At this juncture, Mummy and Daddy would like to thank God for the safe and fast delivery of AVERLYN TAN.

1 comment:

Adelynn said...

Congrats on having such an adorable baby! i'm giving birth soon haha, searching for birth stories and came across ur blog. I understand that we'll be given something to clear bowel. How is the procedure like and how long does it take effect? You can also add me to MSN - adelynnlee1985@hotmail.com